Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Day We Couldn't Get There From Here

Some trips you just can't seem to get where you want to go no matter how many sideroads you take. This day was like that because the White River was literally everywhere.  The day started out wonderful as I took a few side roads off of Hwy 57 headed up to my favorite counties of Martin, Lawrence, and Orange counties.  
Along the way I found these awesome old buildings. This country store is still in operation in the small town of Stendal Indiana. Next to it I saw this other building that I thought was interesting.

I saw a historical site marker and of course went in search of the historical spot. At the edge of a cornfield, I saw this marker. It read: Burr Oak School/ 1903-1939/Burr Oak and Buffalo presided over this land. Then came a school for lives to grow and minds to understand./ In front of this marker embedded in the concrete was a plaque that read: Time capsule to be opened 2039. WOW interesting bit of history there.


What you see here is a small cabin with a cook pit next to it. Nothing special right? until you realize that its only about 5ft tall. Notice the house in the background upper right. It was so cute and so exact I had to take a picture of it. Someone spent a lot of time on this. On the subject of architecture. Look at the pattern of the shingles on this house. Absolutely stunning. 
Like I have said before, you never know what you might find exploring back roads.

Eventually I ended up at the white river. Several places I tried to cross but had to turn back. What follows are scenes from this.

Doesn't look deep does it? Remember only a foot of rushing water on a roadway can lift your tires up enough to wash your vehicle off the road. As they say...Turn around...don't drown.


This fellow's mother was on the same side of the water as I was. He was going to wade across and then drive her to his home which is about a quarter mile up the road at the top of the hill from here. As you can see, once he got out there, he thought better of it and turned around much to his mother's relief.

As I wandered through the back roads, I found myself at Williams Dam in Williams Indiana. I've never seen the water up so high.
What you see here are actually playground and basketballs plus a 55 gallon drum at the bottom of the falls churning in the water.



Of course being so close to Williams and on my way home, I went across the Brooks Bridge. This is the longest and oldest covered bridge still open in Indiana. I love it, but I really don't like driving across it.
 
As the sun was getting low in the west, I came across these two deer feeding in a cornfield. What a perfect end to the trip
.

Before I decided to create a blog to chronicle my trips I just drove without a plan. Someone mentioned that maybe we should put my directions on our blogs so others can travel the same routes. This will be something I will do with future trips. Thanks for the suggestion. I welcome any suggestions to make my trips more interesting to you.

Until next time: Let your spirit soar as you go BackRoads Exploring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment